We are committed to making significant progress on the ocean’s grand challenges:
- Reversing the climate crisis in the Ocean (ocean-based solutions to thermal and chemical stress – e.g. ocean-based carbon dioxide removal)
- Building resilience of coastal systems and communities to climate impacts (e.g. solutions for sea level rise, extreme events, and changing habitats)
- Building a climate-resilient aquatic food system (e.g., aquaculture, including microalgae and macroalgae, ocean-based low carbon diet)
Co-designing and deploying roadmaps for ocean solutions that integrate innovations from science, technology, governance, and finance
The Ocean Visions Programs & Task Forces break the traditional disciplinary and sectorial siloes by bringing together researchers, innovators, investors, funders, stakeholders, NGOs, IGOs, and decision-makers to focus on real-applications for ocean solutions.
Through the Ocean Visions ecosystem, our work aims to:
- Engage all key actors required to co-design actionable roadmaps for ocean solutions
- Develop the capacity for multi-sector system-level thinking of the most challenging threats to ocean and human health
- Articulate both the technological and societal research developments and innovations required for success, including the development of novel and/or revised governance and finance models.
- Coordinate with ongoing local, national and international ocean solutions efforts to ensure a constructive alignment of mission that minimized fragmentation of efforts.